During these winter months when we’re stuck inside, there are home maintenance routines that can help you have more free time in the spring. Here are some tips to survive the winter chill without unexpected plumbing problems and keep your home running smoothly.
- Every season change should start with a standard service call. We will make sure your HVAC equipment is operating in spec, we’ll check for system errors and perform basic services like replacing your air filter.
- Replace your air filter. More for your equipment than your air quality. No filter would cause the internal components to gunk up. A dirty filter and the system can choke. The desert dust and incredibly dry periods mean you need to change your HVAC filter every 4-6 weeks.
- Avoid the unexpected frozen faucet. “I was sitting in the living room when I heard a ‘thunk!’ Then the sound of water like the sprinklers were on. I went out to see a fountain spraying from the side of the house.” Cover your outdoor faucets with insulated protection to keep these freezing nights from busting faucets. If the faucet is failing (dripping, hard to turn) schedule a faucet replacement service.
- Winter time is as good a time as any to drain/flush your water heater. Extend the life of your tank with bi-annual or annual cleaning of your hot water heater tank.
- Don’t use Draino on your drains! Long term effects can lead to damaged pipes and bigger plumbing problems down the road. To prevent standard hair clogs from becoming a bigger issue, use a plumber’s enzyme instead. A cup down trouble drains once a month can reduce the amount of build up in the pipes.
Trending on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jonesmechanical/