The Dangers of Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide in Your Home

Carbon Monoxide is a real danger to you and your loved ones. While natural gas is one of the cleanest burning fossil fuels available, a malfunctioning heater unit could be responsible for a fatal carbon monoxide build up in your home. One of the main reasons we recommend an annual inspection of your heater and hot water heater as well as a full test for carbon monoxide in your home is to detect the issue before it becomes an emergency. If you ever suspect that your home may have carbon monoxide, get out of the home immediately. Exposure may include symptoms like nausea, trouble breathing, nausea and headache.

wall-heaterIn case of an Emergency

If you have reason to suspect carbon monoxide, leave and call 911. Or for a non-urgent situation, New Mexico Gas Co. at 888-664-2726.

Recommendations to stay ahead of Carbon Dioxide

  • Install carbon monoxide detectors in your home. They should be place near bedrooms and your natural gas appliances
  • Have your natural gas heater and water heater checked and maintained annually. This should also include a bi-annual testing of your home to see if we detect any presence of carbon¬†monoxide.
  • Maintain your appliances to make certain that they are receiving enough oxygen. A blue flame indicates normal oxygen levels, yellow flame is an indicator that something is off.

Call us today, if you haven’t already scheduled your winter maintenance service call.